In this article, four successful Christian bloggers generously share their best tips for new bloggers who are just starting out in the niche. The experienced wisdom of these bloggers will definitely help you on your journey as a new blogger.
The World of Christian Blogging-Surprise!
I launched my blog officially in the middle of June 2018. I am happy to report that the world of Christian bloggers literally blew me away in THE most delightful way! The people God is using through Christian blogging ministry are full of the light and love of Christ. This is a community marked by love, as it should be in the body of Christ!
I have been encouraged in my faith and awed at the kindness, humility, and generosity of this community-even among well established or famous Christian bloggers.
If you are like me and just a total newbie, be prepared to be amazed at the ways God has raised up a tribe of Christians to flood the internet with the Truth of God. You will be built up in your faith and energized by it.
Why This Post
New Christian bloggers can be quickly overwhelmed by the amount of learning required to start blogging well. It can also be discouraging if none of your friends are blogging. Just try talking to your spouse about a widget (if they are not blogging-inclined) and you will see what I mean. 🙂
These 4 beautiful ladies (truly beautiful inside and out!) have generously offered up their best tips as established bloggers for brand new Christian bloggers.
Note, these ladies are listed in no particular order. They are in different stages and seasons of life. For me as a beginner, I have found them encouraging examples and mentors. There are many others I could have also listed, but for right now, these are the ladies who are positively influencing me the most as I am doing my baby steps of blogging.
I encourage you to check out the wisdom and encouragement on their blogs and follow them.
A) Arabah Joy
If you browse Pinterest for Christian content, you will see many of Arabah Joy’s beautiful pins in your feed. I am in a blogging course of which she is a veteran, and she often pops into the course Facebook group to give helpful advice and encouragement to us beginners. She is a long-standing missionary in Asia. She has a passion to make Jesus known and help others bask in His glory.
The purpose of her Arabah Joy blog is “helping women grow in intimacy with God so they can live lives of purpose, joy, and passion, and leave a legacy of faith and strength for others to follow”.
She gives 3 tips here for new Christian bloggers:
- Do not let any type of fear paralyze you and keep you silent.
- When you have a quiet prompting from the Lord it is a stewardship issue. Stewards have to do the work, invest the talent, plant the seeds, AND be all in.
- Many Christian bloggers just don’t put in the effort God asks a steward to put in. Don’t get caught up in the misconception that believes God’s sovereignty means inaction on our part. It doesn’t.
She reminds us our world needs every Godly light out there lit and placed on its lampstand. Don’t let fear keep you hiding yours under a bushel!
Arabah has a beautiful post that goes into more detail on these 3 tips right here.
B) Deb Wolf from Counting My Blessings Blog
Deb Wolf is the Christian blogger behind Counting My Blessings Blog. She was one of the first Christian bloggers I followed on Pinterest, her posts are really awesome for growing in faith. The first time I communicated with her, I could sense her love and concern for others and she seeks ways often to help other Christian bloggers.
On her blog you will find:
Motivation/Transformation . . . Posts that share the blessings of a closer walk with God through the transforming power of Jesus.
Appreciation / Satisfaction . . . Writing that encourages a greater appreciation of God’s blessings which leads to greater satisfaction and happiness.
Illustration / Intersection . . . Stories that share the Good News as believers experience the intersection of faith and life.
Inspiration / Affirmation . . . Weekly reminders of God’s perfect forever and always love.
Devotion / Adoration . . . And the consistent celebration of the joys and blessings of living every day for God’s glory.
Her top tips for new bloggers in the Christian niche are:
- Write your passion! You’ll get discouraged and lose interest if you’re writing isn’t coming from that place where your story meets what’s most important to you.
- When you write – imagine yourself talking to a friend over a cup of coffee. Be yourself.
- It’s lonely behind the computer. Visit other bloggers, leave comments, and make friends! Find your people! They will keep you going when you’re discouraged.
- Pay attention to your graphics. Blogging is a visual medium. Your graphics will be an important part of your branding and marketing.
- Pray! I ask God every day to give me the words He wants me to write and to send my writing where He wants it to go and that all of it will bring Him glory!
C) Natalie Venegas at Milk & Honey Faith
Natalie’s Milk and Honey Faith blog has a gorgeous, calming feel to it. As with the other ladies in this post, when you communicate with her you sense her genuine love and concern for others. On her blog, you can expect to read about the lessons that she has been learning throughout her life being a born-again Christian.
She and her blog are authentic, and you will feel that as you read her posts. Her posts touch on many heart-felt issues such as marriage, children, faith, blogging, home, and more.
Here are her top tips to newbie Christian bloggers:
1. Pray before starting, pray again to be equipped, pray, pray, and pray again. This call is not for the faint of heart and you should be fully prepared to go in for the long haul. View it as a Ministry as opposed to a hobby.
2. Research platforms and hosts for creating a self-hosted blog. The biggest mistake I made was starting off on a free platform. Within a couple of short months, I realized it would not be sufficient for what I had envisioned so I had to migrate my blog. It caused many headaches and technological challenges that I wouldn’t have had to face if I had done more research.
3. Be prepared to invest a lot of time into your blog. Creating a schedule that allows time to write each day really helps for you to avoid writer’s block. The longer the gaps between writing, the harder it is to get anything down.
4. Stay accountable to God. Live what you write. Pray and read your Word and make it a daily habit to live out what the Word of God says. The enemy will swiftly try to move in and discredit and discourage you. Don’t give him any cause for ammunition.
5. Find a community of Christian Bloggers who will encourage, equip, and promote what you are doing for the Lord. It has made a world of difference for me to have fellow Christian bloggers as friends who will pray for me.
D) Hanha at Transparency Blog
I came across this Godly young lady right when I was learning how to set up WordPress (the .org version). Three things struck me about her: a) she glows with the joy of the Lord, b) she has a passion to share with her generation truths that build up the body of Christ, and c) her frank openness. If you are in the single season of life you will find special content there for you too.
On her Transparency blog you will find:
-Lessons she has learned while walking with Christ that will help you realize that you are not alone when facing the challenges of being a Christian.
-Scriptures, bible studies, and devotionals that will encourage you and remind you of God’s faithfulness and sovereignty.
-Testimonies and interviews that will inspire you to chase after God and walk in your calling with your gifts, weaknesses, and talents.
Hanha’s top tips for brand new Christian bloggers:
1. Decide WHAT you want to be known for.
It’s so important to niche down because when you’re too broad in your message, it’s hard to attract the right people to your blog, business, or brand. But in this way, you’ll be known as an expert in your field. For example, I niched my blog to focus on the topic of identity and helping women uncover their identity in Christ.
In the same way, figure out what that is for you. It’s too broad to say that you’re a lifestyle blog. Figure out what you want to be known for. When people talk about you to other people, what would you want them to say?
2. Know WHO exactly you want to help.
I heard it best this way, to reach “everyone” is to reach no one.
You have to know who exactly you’re talking to including their age, what they’ve been through, and their demographics. Know what they’re struggling with and what they need help in. This will help when writing. You’ll be able to write with more clarity and focus. And the person reading your content will be able to better identify and relate to what you’re saying. My advice for this is to create a persona of the person you’re talking to and think about that person every time you write.
3. Stick to one goal.
It is so tempting to be pulled in so many directions. But once you’ve figured out step one and two, focus on your ONE thing. Trust me, it will be a lot easier to build your audience and community that way. Because naturally over time, your desires will start to change and your blog will shift directions as you grow. If you focus on too many things, you might confuse yourself and your audience.
4. Start an email list.
A lot of marketing people mention this ALL the time, but they’re right! You don’t own your social media accounts and social media platforms are constantly changing. You will be able to connect with your audience a lot easier through email because people check that more frequently than they do their social media. This will also be a lot better if you ever decide or choose to start selling products or services.
5. Be consistent!
I have seen so many people that I started blogging with fall off because of their failure to be consistent. Sometimes, you’ll want to give up because you don’t necessarily see the results that you’re looking for, but I encourage you to keep going. Like it says in Galatians 5:9, “You will reap your harvest if you don’t give up.”
This article provided awesome tips from four successful Christian bloggers for brand new bloggers in the Christian niche. If you are just starting out as a Christian blogger read the tips and follow these ladies, you will be strengthened as you start down the road as a Christian blogger.
Let Me Know
Please feel free to leave me a comment if you are a brand new blogger. Let me know if any tip really resonated with you. Also please feel free to let me know what you have learned since starting yourself.
Please Share Too
If you found this post helpful then please consider either: a) hitting the red Pinterest save button below and saving a long image from this post to your favorite Pinterest board, b) sharing this post on Facebook, c) emailing the link to a friend who is also starting as a new Christian blogger. Thank you!